Case Study 1

Content Strategy and Social Media at The Department for International Development

  1. Dfid were introducing an Enterprise Social Network, they wanted to be able to measure success.
  2. I initially used Google Analytics but quickly realised this wasn’t giving a complete picture.
  3. I devised a new more comprehensive set of metrics, taking in all the activity around the network.
  4. This gave us a roadmap for success.

I was invited on secondment to Dfid where they were introducing an Enterprise Social Network (ESN) to satisfy two objectives around the empowerment and accountability workstream:

  • Increase the scale and quality of work on empowerment and accountability across Dfid business
  • Respond to the directive in policy division to pilot new ways of working to strengthen links between policy and operations in order to improve evidence based programming and value for money from bilateral and other programming

In other words to connect global assets and speed up the flow of information between them particularly with regard to policy formulation and research.

The ESN had been built on a WordPress platform and was monitored by the Google Analytics package.

My task was mainly to identify which metrics to measure to indicate success. I identified the issue as mainly one of content strategy, Google Analytics only measured one type of content activity on the resource itself but was being used to measure overall success.

I formulated three categories to be measured:

  1. Content
  2. Function
  3. Channel
  1. Content is the measurement of activity on the site traditionally associated with Google analytics – page views, visitor behaviour, search log.
  2. Function is the measurement of content uploaded by users – number of responses, response times, origin of traffic.
  3. Channel is the measurement of communication to and from the ESN from the organisation – how the ESN fits in with existing channels of communication. Data (quantitative and qualitative) about the ESN gained from user surveys.

Using the three categories it was obvious that there was confusion of content types on the ESN, how the ESN was used and confusion about what should be measured to indicate success against particular objectives.

Once we used the three categories as measurement objectives we could make judgements about governance of the ESN.

The metrics now showed:

The resource succeeded in:

Increasing awareness of E&A

‘Broadcasting’ policy faster to the target audience.

We needed to focus on:

Giving the user control over communications

Creating more of an online community for policy creation and discussion

Getting ‘ownership’ away from the centre.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s